St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
to build up the family of God
on the rock of Christ
through Word and Sacrament.
The first settlers from Bavaria and Wuerttemberg, Germany arrived in the vicinity of Helenville in 1844. These faithful Lutheran farmers cleared the land and met weekly in their homes for worship. When a new wave of immigrants arrived, they officially organized a congregation, built a log church in 1848, and called their first resident pastor in 1849. By 1861 the congregation had outgrown it’s first facility and built a new frame church. That building served until the present worship facility was built in 1902. So, you see, our congregation has been here for some time and we hope to serve our community with the Gospel of Jesus for many generations to come.
From its very beginning, the congregation has seen the value of Christian education, of grounding our youth firmly in the teachings of the Scriptures. Our school (the oldest continually running parochial school in Jefferson County) was founded in 1851 with the pastor teaching the youth in the old log church. A brick school building was erected in 1867-1868. A larger school was built on the same site in 1914. Our present school (on the other side of the hill next to State Hwy. 18) was built in 1959 and has undergone a couple of additions.
St. Peter’s continues to be committed to the Christian education of our youth, operating our school with a faculty of four dedicated teachers, and sending many on to Lakeside Lutheran for their high school education. Our members fondly refer to our school as the “best kept secret in Jefferson County.”